Welcome to TheGarageEngineer.com

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Building a Utopian Society

I found a great video about a grand idea that I thought was on a very interesting subject.  A scientist named Marcin Jakubowski created Open Source Ecology to develop and test the Global Village Construction Set, a set of tools to build replicable, open source, modern, off-grid resilient communities. By weaving open source permacultural and technological cycles together, we intend to provide basic human needs while being good stewards of the land, using resources sustainably, and pursuing right livelihood. With the gift of openly shared information, we can produce industrial products locally using open source design and digital fabrication. This frees us from the need to participate in the wasteful resource flows of the larger economy by letting us produce our own materials and components for the technologies we use. We see small, independent, land-based economies as means to transform societies, address pressing world issues, and evolve to freedom. (per http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Open_Source_Ecology)

You can view his lecture from the TED conference,http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski.html, to get a better understanding of his idea.

I love the idea of the Global VIllage Construction Set.  It makes you think of grand ideas.   It bring me back to when I was a kid and would take a blank piece of paper and draw imaginary cities.   I would dream up of where building would be place, where people would live, etc.   I would create whole towns and only be limited by my imagination.

Later in life I would play the computer game SimCity which was similar to my drawings, but introduced an interactive society, but would sometimes limited my creativity because of the software's short comings.   However, what Marcin discusses about creating a utopian society intrigues me due to the fact that he is trying to create a sustainable society with open source building equipment.

Check it out and build on,

Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment