Welcome to TheGarageEngineer.com

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The beginning

     All my life I have been constantly watching and learning everything around me. Some skills I remember, others I easily forget. I feel that I try to do everything at least once so that I become well rounded and experienced in many facets of life. Somethings I do once and never do again. Somethings I do once only to pick it back up later in life.
 
     Right now I am at a point in my life where I feel I am comfortable in knowing who I am and my likes and dislikes. A reoccurring theme of my likes are building with my hands.  My main education has been in the field of home construction, but in the past few months my electronics interests have been rearing its head from the dark depths of my soul. It started with learning more about computer repair but lead to DIY electronics building, and hacking.
   
     I am fortunate to have a dedicated shop that serves as my base, my experimental lab. Where creations are built or lost mechanical souls are repaired. I followed a few websites which lead to listening to a podcast which lead to many podcasts. Now my head is full of ideas and projects that sit waiting to be completed and many more waiting to be started.
   
     I have recently started learning more about open source electronics, including hardware and software design. That idea is intriguing on many levels but what draws me to this area is the community that builds around different open source projects. That is what has brought me to create this blog. I do not have a direct purpose or theme but I have a general idea of what I want to include in it, thus I will let the blog's theme take shape on its own.
   
     I want to put my thoughts down in this blog about primer ideas for projects that I would like to do or details of projects that I am currently working on.  I want a place to write down my ideas on "paper" so that I can make room for other ideas swimming around in my head, but also spark ideas in others as other people have sparked in me. Writing is not my strong suite, but I have read from other author that to write a book or a blog you have to put your thoughts down everyday.
   
     Just as the old saying goes. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. That same philosophy is applied to writing this blog. How do you write a blog? One word at a time. And regularly.
   
     I have many fun projects that I am working on. So I plan to begin writing about those projects as I continue to build on them.  Although I have not figured out the theme of this blog, I felt it fitting to call it 'Garage Engineer' because that how I see myself and all that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment